1 hour, 15 minutes
Delicious and addictive, these lemon-coconut squares are an easy favorite. This is one of my most sought after and shared recipes. One large lemon is sufficient for grated lemon rind and lemon juice. I have also made it without separating my eggs. Separating your eggs results in a fluffier lighter texture.
- Heat the oven to 175ºC
- Base: 1/2 cup Butter (softened); 1/2 cup packed brown sugar; 1-1/2 cups flour
- Topping: 3 eggs separated; 1 cup sugar; 2 tbsp grated lemon rind; 1/3 cup lemon juice; 2 tbsp flour; 1/2 tsp salt; 2 cups shredded coconut
- Mix the base ingredients (I usually cut the butter into the flour with a spatula or knife until its relatively mixed). Press this on the bottom of a 13"x9" dish and bake for about 10-15 minutes until the edges are brown. This is basically a shortbread type base.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, baking powder, salt, and stir in coconut.
- Beat the egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff. Fold into egg yolk mix and spread over the base. (Usually is about 1/2-1" high with the base)
- Bake for about 25 minutes until nearly set.